Fact-Check & Editorial Responsibility: Kris Broholm
It's another Friday and another podcast episode! Today I'm very happy to welcome Chuck Smith onto the show.
Chuck was one of the driving forces behind Polyglot Berlin, which happened to be an event I enjoyed VERY MUCH. You can read my 10 part trip report starting from part 1 here. I was very happy when they recently announced that it would return next year, so mark your calendars for May 1st – May 4th!
Chuck is also heavily involved with Esperanto, having founded the Esperanto Wikipedia, which is now in the top 32 for Wikipedias ordered per number of articles. During the interview we talk a lot about some technical aspects of Esperanto along with practical tips and tricks for new learners (I'm currently doing Esperanto for the Add1Challenge.)
We also discuss language learning in general, so all in all an episode with lots of great tips and advice from a knowledgeable polyglot.
In this episode you will hear about:
- How Chuck got started with Esperanto
- How he got involved with organising the Polyglot Berlin Gathering
- What changes will happen for next year's edition
- Tips and tricks to learn Esperanto or any language for that matter
- Some curiosities about Esperanto
- How he approaches language learning resources
Resources mentioned in the Episode
Note: I've removed most of the resources from this section, as I always had Anki/Memrise etc. here every week. Now I will only put resources here that are very exclusive to the episode. For any other resource please go to the resource page for more information.
- Lernu.net – For all things Esperanto learning
- Pasporta Servo – Stay with Esperanto speakers abroad (a predeccessor to couchsurfing)
- Pasporto A la tuta mondo (15 episode educational sitcom)
- Chuck's Blog
- Chuck's Gaming Company (iOs users check this out!)
Kris is the founder of Actual Fluency, and has spent the last 8 years becoming an expert in language learning software, methods, and techniques.
Originally from Denmark, he now lives in Portugal and speaks 5+ languages at varying levels. His other interests are Wine, Online Marketing, and Travelling.