Fact-Check & Editorial Responsibility: Kris Broholm
In today's episode I'm joined by Anthony Lauder, who I've been trying to get on the show for a long time, but due to conflicting schedules, illnesses(for both of us) and then holiday plans we were unable to do the interview – until this week!
The stars finally aligned and I was able to sit down with Anthony and have a great conversation about language learning. Mind you it wasn't without a few technical problems, which I share in the intro today.
What I really like about Anthony is that he is exploring every aspect of language learning in order to optimise it, but he doesn't force his findings down your throat. Instead he simply says, this is what I found to be working after researching X topic.
What particularly got my attention was how he approached building up fluency, which in his definition is being able to maintain a natural flow of speech.
In this episode you will hear about:
- Anthony's experience with learning languages
- A lot of lessons learned along the way
- How to be more like a polyglot and not a polynot
- The mental struggles of learning a new language
- Conversational connectors and what they mean for fluency
- and muuuch more! This is a great one.
Resources mentioned in the Episode
Note: I've removed most of the resources from this section, as I always had Anki/Memrise etc. here every week. Now I will only put resources here that are very exclusive to the episode. For any other resource please go to the resource page for more information.
- Anthony's YouTube channel – highly recommended (even if you are not learning Czech)
- Anthony's Polynot-talk – from the Polyglot Conference Budapest
- Conversational Connectors (Czech)
- Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis – (my review)
Kris is the founder of Actual Fluency, and has spent the last 8 years becoming an expert in language learning software, methods, and techniques.
Originally from Denmark, he now lives in Portugal and speaks 5+ languages at varying levels. His other interests are Wine, Online Marketing, and Travelling.