How to Learn Languages
- Conversation Countdown: Let top language hacker Benny Lewis show you how to speak your target language with a native speaker within 7 days.
- Successful Self-Study: How to learn a language on your own in no time, without any language classes by Lindsay Dow from LindsayDoesLanguages.
- Language Learning Foundations: Take a short-cut and let 8-language polyglot Olly Richards teach you the secrets of his success.
- Say Goodbye to Shy: Book and companion course on how to learn languages more effectively if you're an introvert or simply feel shy when trying to talk to people.
- Pimsleur – 30 minute lessons with extensive pronunciation and spaced repetition elements. Read my review here.
- Glossika – Sentence-based spaced repetition. Includes 3000 sentences at an affordable price.
- Innovative Languages – Premium podcasts available in 35 languages with hundreds of lessons for each language. Read my review.
- LinguaLift – Super premium courses with 24/7 tutor contact.
- Babbel – Extensive courses available in many languages. Small cost.
- Mondly – Courses in 33 languages with optional Premium upgrade.
- Duolingo – FREE language courses available in many languages, great for on-the-go learning.
- Fluent Spanish Academy – For intermediate Spanish learners who want to take their Spanish to the next level.
How to Master your Memory
- Magnetic Memory Method Masterclass – The only memory training you'll ever need.
- Fluent in 3 Months: How Anyone at Any Age Can Learn to Speak Any Language from Anywhere in the World By Benny Lewis. My review.
- Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It by Gabriel Wyner.
- The Vocab Cookbook: The Fluent Guide to Building Vocabulary by Kerstin Hammes
- Fluency Made Achievable: The Fluent Guide to Core Language Skills By Kerstin Hammes
Accountability / Motivation
- Language Motivation Mastery: Master motivation and accountability with this 6 weeks program.
- Add 1 Challenge: Pick your target language and learn how to have a 15-minute conversation with a native speaker in 90 days.
Spaced Repetition and Flashcards
- Memrise – My favourite flashcard software. Free.
- Ankisrs.net – Alternative to Memrise, spaced repetition flashcard software. Allows you to design your own decks.
- LingQ – Learn new vocabulary through reading and listening to a vast amount of material. Free for limited use, with a premium membership costing about 10 USD per month.
- Learn With Oliver – Flashcards on Steroids. Many features available free, but to unlock everything you will need to pay a small monthly fee.
- Bliu Bliu – Algorithm based reading tool, that serves you content suited exactly for your level. Great if you want to get into reading in your target language fast.
- LanguageBoost – Learn the top 500 words in many languages for rapid fluency.
- Clozemaster – Gamify your learning and learn in context with tons of languages to choose from.
Tutoring and Exchanges
- iTalki – Find a tutor or teacher from all over the world at affordable price. If you pay for a lesson you'll get 100 free credits towards the next lesson. HIGHLY recommended. Read my review.
- Baselang – For Spanish learners: Unlimited Spanish tutoring for just $129/month. Get $10 off your first month.
- InterPals – Originally designed as a pen-pal site, it is super easy to find native speakers who will help you out. I was literally swarmed with choices when I searched for native Russian speakers, and everyone I contacted have been super friendly.
- Sharedlingo – Live chat language exchange service. Chat to people in real-time and practice your languages.
- HelloTalk – One of the best language exchange app right now.
- Tandem – Talk about your favourite subjects in your target language with over 1 million users of this language exchange application. Tutoring also available directly.
- Lang-8 – Submit text to have corrected by native speakers.
- Bab.la – Comprehensive selection of dictionaries, tools, and resources for language learners all provided for free. Recommended.
- Forvo – Listen to native speakers pronouncing millions of words
- RhinoSpike – Request pronunciations from native speakers and contribute your own voice.
- LanguageLearningPortal – Find language courses around the world.
- Teach English overseas – Online teach-English-as-a-foreign-language courses that enable you to start teaching English in most of the world. Requires an upfront investment, but you can find tons of jobs on their website.
- CoolJugator – Conjugate verbs in many languages.
- Jolly Baby Club: Teach your infant English with these cheery cartoons.
Shows and Podcasts
- The Actual Fluency Podcast: My own weekly podcast, where I interview amazing learners in the community and many more.
- Foreign Language Mastery: John Fotheringham interviews polyglots and language learners about their favourite methods, tips and tricks.
- The Creative Language Learning Podcast: Hosted by Kerstin Hammes and Lindsay Dow.
- The I will Teach You a Language Podcast with Olly Richards: Olly answers listener questions on language learning every week!
Travel the world
- AirBnB – Rent rooms or whole apartments from private people for less than the cost of a hotel room. Get $20 off your first booking.
- UBER – My favourite taxi-app. It's super easy to use, payment is secure over the app and it's 40-50% cheaper than traditional taxis. You get $10 credit by signing up via me.
Blog about your learning
Note: I wrote a blogging guide, that takes you through all the steps, no technical knowledge required!
- HostGator: My prefered webhost. Used it for years now without problems. Use the coupon code:ActualFluency for a special discount at checkout.
- WordPress: The best blogging framework, and it’s free! Check your webhost’s “quickinstall” section, they might have it there already.